Posted on November 16th, 2022
INSPIRING HEALTHY LIVES through leadership
At Natividad, our dedication to the people of Monterey County is at the heart of everything we do—from the health care services we provide to the specialized programs we promote. This commitment to our community spans more than 130 years and, more importantly, has touched countless lives. It has also earned us a Joint Commission ranking in the top percentile of hospitals nationwide. If you believe in inspiring healthy lives by focusing on community-based care, consider joining Natividad today.
MANAGER OF MEDICAL STAFF SERVICES (MEDICAL STAFF COORDINATOR)
Natividad is currently seeking a full-time permanent Manager of Medical Staff Services. Under general direction, the Manager of Medical Staff Services coordinates and supervises the administrative services function of the Medical Staff Office at Natividad. This incumbent is responsible for establishing and implementing administrative policies and procedures which comply with applicable regulatory and accreditation requirements; and acting as a liaison and resource person between the Medical and Nursing Staff, Natividad Administration and the Community.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinate and supervise daily administrative operations of the medical staff section.
- Monitor the administrative operational procedures of the medical staff section; conduct analytical studies; evaluate alternatives; develop and implement recommendations.
- Coordinate physician credentialing process for medical staff members and allied health professionals; ensure timely filings; monitor process for regulatory compliance; analyze current administrative processing procedures and revise/develop new procedures when necessary.
- Coordinate TJC accreditation process for medical staff services.
- Monitor and coordinate Quality Assurance Activities for medical staff services by interpreting regulations and requirements, and verifying compliance.
- Develop medical staff administrative systems, policies and procedures; coordinate management input, review and approval.
- Coordinate and supervise the medical staff proctoring system; prepare reports and monitor for compliance as required by Hospital Bylaws.
- Assist in the development of short- and long-range planning for medical staff services by researching current policies and procedures; meeting with Departmental staff and soliciting input; researching outside resource materials, regulations and requirements; and writing draft policies and procedures for medical staff review.
- Supervise the maintenance of Division credential and peer review files and records of all Medical Staff members; supervise the retrieval of medical records where appropriate; develop file and record maintenance procedures.
- Act as resource person to the Medical Staff Organization by interpreting Medical Staff by-laws, Medical Staff rules, department regulations, TJC, Title 22 and any other regulations that may reference accreditation, quality control and confidentiality of Medical Staff documents.
- Supervise and coordinate the scheduling of medical staff committee meetings and monthly on-call schedules; supervise agenda preparation; monitor meeting follow-up activity.
- Meet with hospital personnel, physicians and/or patients regarding complaints on issues of patient care; recommend action and coordinate the satisfactory resolution of complaints and/or issues; analyze procedures regarding complaint process; revise existing and/or develop new complaint processing procedures.
- Participate in various medical staff committee meetings by acting as a resource person; respond to requests for information by researching pertinent data, compiling information and writing reports, etc.
- Plan, organize, assign and evaluate the work of subordinate staff; counsel employees, appraise performance, prepare documentation, and recommend discipline or performance recognition; interview and recommend, or select candidates for employment; provide for employee training and development; guide subordinates in a variety of administrative support tasks.
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education or training, typically:
OPTION I: An Associate Degree in Medical Staff Management and one year of experience performing administrative support duties in a healthcare setting
OPTION II: Any combination of training, education and experience which provides at least three years of work experience performing administrative support duties in a healthcare setting. At least one of the three years must have been in a first-line supervisory or office management level.
Registration as Medical Staff Services Professional, or a Bachelor's degree in a health related discipline is desirable.
Thorough knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of business administration and office management.
- Principles and methods of supervision and management, including work planning, analysis and organization; selection and evaluation of employees, and their training and development.
- Capabilities and applications of electronic management information systems including word processing and spread sheet applications.
- Typical administrative policies, bylaws, regulations and procedures used in health care organizations, (e.g., The Joint Commission, Title XXII).
- Techniques of effective report writing and office correspondence.
For application materials, contact Natividad, HR, 1441 Constitution Blvd, Bldg 300, Salinas, CA 93906; call us at (831) 783-2700; or apply online at www.natividad.com. Like us on Facebook: